Saturday, February 11, 2017

Birds and Books


This tall stool is just right for typing on the Signet

P.S.
An afterthought from yesterday as we were driving back to town for our lunch is that I should have at least taken some photos of the Preserve.  The numerous deciduous trees are covered with drapes of Spanish Moss which makes them look really unique.  There are wide areas of saw grass in the marshes and along the lagoons and other bodies of water, and the general landscape along the trails is unlike that of many other places in the U.S.A.

While there, I thought who would want to see trees, grass, water, and people with binoculars?  I have a typewriter blog.  Besides, many of the plants that should be green are brown, like shown in my previous post.

Since the hurricane there was so much salt water flooding the lowlands, and no rain since, the plants are dieing (yes, Blogger spell checker states wrong spelling, but dying means to dye clothing). This is also one of the reasons we are not seeing the normal winter population of shore birds and some other birds.  The plants are not healthy so they do not produce the normal flowers and seeds.

Then, since I did some outdoors typing about our day I should have had some photos.  For our next trip I'll buy some film and post a few days after the event. I do not have a darkroom in my tiny house.  Plus the iron in the water would make it difficult to do proper processing.

As far as film, Kodak still makes Ektar professional films and even brought back Ektachorme!  Maybe Kodachrome is next.  I used some Fuji film last year to one of our trips to Merritt Island.  I did not like the results.  Then I never seemed to have liked the results of any Fuji film I've used.  Colors are way too exaggerated.
Agfa, Ilford, or Kodak are still the best.

Now for the books.
While typing and grilling the doorbell rang.  Mrs. M answered it taking possession of gifts from the postman.  Gifts I purchased.  My copy of The Manual Typewriter Repair Bible and The Olympia SM 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 Typewriter Repair Bible arrived.  These books are compiled / produce by the Right Reverend Theodore Munk.  I thought I'd use that or I could have said Activist T. Munk as he has on the books.

I briefly paged though them.  They are great resources for typewriter repair people.  I can use all the help I can find when I dig into repairing my own typewriters.  I know these will be put to good use.  If you have a typewriter hobby and like repairing typewriters I highly recommend getting a copy of which ever book you need.  He also has a book for the Olympia SG typewriters.  Here's the link to his post on the books.

Much better packaging than Amazon.  Amazon loosely packs books in big boxes and many times they arrived with minor damage. The last few I got from Amazon were not even wrapped and were smudged.

Both books.  The Manual Bible is about an inch or more thick.  The Olympia Bible is about 3/4 of an inch thick.  Both are packed with information.

7 comments:

  1. These Bibles are indeed holy writ for us typewriter lovers.

    Nice to see your Signet in action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of the 'Birds of a Feather Fest' Bill, I think that would be something my hubby would enjoy very much. Typing outdoors is the way to go in good weather, getting your Vitamin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! Pressed post to quickly 😊 I was going to say get your vitamin D while working in the sun ☺ Bill have you not ever been tempted to go digital with your photography? It does make things much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about digital imaging sometimes. I'm too cheap to spend $3k or so on a good camera when I know the LCD will be dieing in 10 years or so. Then I have the high costs of telephoto lenses. I have film cameras over 100 years old that still work fine. On the Century cameras color is often a compromise since the lenses are not coated. There are less expensive options for cameras, but I know me, I would not be satisfied with less than full frame sensors.

      Delete
  4. Bill I use an Olympus omd em5, it's a mirror-less camera. I love it, it's not as expensive as a DSLR camera, much lighter, I suppose the lenses can add up but to be honest, the 12 to 50mm lens is brilliant, probably the lens I use the most and have added a long lens, a wide angle and a prime lens over the last two years. According to the professionals equally as good as if not better than a DSLR. You should check out the Olympus site, interesting if nothing else 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mirror-less is a good idea as long as they have a real view finder or full field EVF. SLR in digital is overkill. I then though. Olympus makes fine equimpent.

      Delete
  5. Yay! Glad you got yours safely shipped - Lulu's process appears to be pretty good. No complaints so far. (:

    ReplyDelete