Tuesday, February 26, 2013

2 Days of ITAM Left, A Change of Subject: Royal Signet & Hermes 3000


3166170 makes this a 1963 according to the Right Reverend Ted Munk's Typewriter Database.
Strange.  I was just commenting on his comment in his post about a Hermes 3000 starting it all.  Reminds me of an article in the Chicago Tribune "What's so Special About a Hermes 3000?"  Answer: It has a way of making one buy more and more and more typewriters.

I planned an entirely different subject for this post as I was sitting at a pic-nic table behind the gas station on my way home from work typing on my Signet.  Maybe I will finish and use that typecast later.

Now is there a Pica Script Hermes 3000 lurking about as a .... well, I won't continue.  Mrs. M did not seem as pleased with this find I was with it.  As she thought I would be taking it apart using a part I need and selling parts on Ebay rather than adding another typewriter to my collection.

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on the cursive Hermes find! But I have to say, the typeface of your Signet is the real scene stealer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I will clean the Signet and the font should be even clearer.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to you and sympathies to Mrs. M!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to send you the card guide for the WordPlay Hermes 3000. I will as soon as I find one.

      Delete
  3. I love that Signet typeface. Hey since you seem to be tripping over H3K's, let me know when I can request a part or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be a long time at the rate I am going. Over the past year I have purchased 3 junk machines that ended up in the collection. 2 unique type faces and one really good typer. Seems Hermes is with me in finding cheap and useful machines and not with me when it comes to getting a machine I can use for parts.

      Delete
  4. What??? That is an amazing find! You have all the luck - with all the Hermes 3000s I have come across here in Hermes-land, not a single one has been script.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to believe with all the fine typewriters that cross your path you have yet to find a script.

      Delete
  5. As a relative newcomer to the Hermes 3000 fold - I can now see what all the fuss is about. And I admire your luck - it goes to show that, as long as there are ill-informed sellers out there, that you needn't spend a fortune to get a good typewriter. Secretly, I'd been hoping to find a shabby H3K and strip the paint to bare metal, just to show off the curves. Do you think there should be a parallel 'sphere for typewriter 'widows'? Every new addition to my collection is fraught with subterfuge and there's no relenting even when I tell of the Royal 10, Remington 12 and Olympia Mod. 8 that 'got away' this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh, when your major complaint is getting machines shipped to you in good working order, you oughta count yourself lucky :D

    Nice new addition to your H3000 armada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is correct. When I buy on line I am always concerned about buying a good machine and having it packaged correctly for shipping. Then sometimes they arrive broken.

      When I want a junker for parts. They work! I cannot complain about that. I think Hermes is watching over me.

      Delete